It is no surprise that the Sony PlayStation 4 is an astonishing console that makes it one of the most competent gaming platforms in the industry.
That astonishment is complemented with the almost-limitless amount of PS4 peripherals.
Whether it’s a custom arcade fighting stick, a racer controller, or wireless headphones, the console is compatible to all kinds of accessories.
In this article, we’ll be looking at 8 of the top PS4 accessories any PlayStation fanboy should have.
Whether it’s for VR, controller chargers, or a webcam for PS4 livestreaming, this article should definitely help you out in picking what’s right for you.
But first, let’s answer some big questions:
What makes a good PS4 accessory?
Accessory, as the word implies, should simply be an object that provides accessibility for any person.
Convenience is the core to any good accessory. Nobody wants a gadget that makes everything more of a hassle than improving the gameplay experience.
For the PlayStation market, there are tons of accessories for the console that bring out twice the fun for the players.
The PS4 is a top-quality console and therefore we will be only looking for the likewise top-quality accessories.
What PS4 accessories do I need?
Learning what PS4 gadgets you must have will depend on your situation:
Are you finding for the most immersive driving simulator experience?
Do you aspire to be a pro player and require a particular controller that esports players use?
Need more space to download more games?
Looking for the most surround-sound experience while playing shooter games?
Are you finding for a good place to keep your controller and charge it at the same time?
It all boils down to a good yes or no for these questions. Here, we will discover what the best PS4 peripherals are just for you.
Please take note that these are not in particular order:
Top 8 Best PS4 Accessories Reviews 2018
Honestly, nothing else can compare against the official VR headset by Sony.
Yes, VR gaming is still a niche category but if you really want the best experience, you don’t want to settle for anything less than the PSVR.
A lot of VR headsets are reputable for their clunky motion tracking, especially the ones on PC, but PS fans are proud of what the PSVR has to offer.
- One of those proud moments is due to the fact that the price is quite cheaper compared to the high-end VR headsets on PC such as the Oculus Rift.
- It is also honestly one of the prettiest VR headsets ever made. It screams out elegance and simplicity—traits that Sony is known for in terms of design.
- The comfort level is also very good compared to other VR headsets; the thick cushions are just right and hold your head gently. This means you can play VR for hours without feeling any massive pain on your forehead or temple.
- Sony comes to show that you don’t need a PC that has specs that are lowkey NASA and a pricey VR headset since the PS4’s VR system runs much simpler than large CPUs.
- A computer needs at least a GTX1060 or anything equivalent to that so it can run the VR smoothly. The PS4, on the other hand, only needs to run it with its own GPU.
- No fuss and no hassle for PS gamers who want to dive in the virtual reality.
- The headset can run 1080p games for crisp VR experiences.
- The OLED display is at a default 920 x RGB x 1080 aka 120Hz refresh rate.
- The latency is also acceptably low with a fixed number of 18 ms—a response rate that is above standard latency in VR headsets.
- For such a price, this is very competitive in the VR market—particularly versus the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.
However, the biggest drawback here is that when you purchase it, you only get the headset, which is obviously not enough for the full VR experience.
You need to buy the PlayStation Camera and the PlayStation Move (unless you already have that on the PS3). There is just no point in having the headset alone.
Another flaw here is the rather jaggy motion tracking of the combined headset and the Move controller.
By default, a VR player needs 2 separate cameras for the smoothest VR experience—a no-brainer set-up for PC players. But Sony wanted to keep things simpler so they thought 2 symmetrical cameras in a black rectangular box will be enough.
The motion tracking isn’t all that bad per se, but compared to its competing VR gears, the PSVR is slightly less responsive.
But overall, it is still a PS4 accessory must-have for any PlayStation gamer who wants the most affordable VR experience.
Not to mention, the VR game library is honestly quite large and full of good games such as Resident Evil 7, Batman Arkham VR, Superhot, Job Simulator, and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood.
2. PlayStation Camera – An essential for PSVR players as well as the best camera for live streaming.
Previously, we said that you are going to need the PlayStation Camera (and the PlayStation Move) in order to play the PSVR to its full potential.
But that is not all about this camera.
- It has two more good uses for it: live streaming and dancing games such as Just Dance.
- If you ever had the aspiration of becoming the next big live streaming celebrity on the PlayStation platform, then the PS Camera is perfect for you.
- This rectangular box actually has 2 cameras that are almost adjacent to each other.
- The 2 lenses are HD with a max resolution of 1280 x 800 or 720p.
- It also performs in a good 60 fps. And yes, you can still lower the resolution if your internet connection is slow.
- You also do not need to buy extra microphones if you don’t have to since the Camera has 4 microphones—each of them is in between the lenses. The purpose of these are mostly for the PS4 voice control but it’s also good enough for a live streaming microphone.
Only purchase this if and only if you’re willing to spend on VR gaming, dancing games or live streaming.
All in all, it’s a very good camera with a good HD resolution and high-quality sound capture. After all, the device is powered by the Sony Cyber-Shot.
3. PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset—A very compatible and inexpensive wireless headphones for the PS4
Sony has also introduced exclusive PS4 headphones minus the stressful wires.
The Platinum Wireless Headset was designed specifically for the PS players who are looking to find a very good set of headphones that display great design, comfort, and top audio quality.
There is honestly nothing revolutionary here except the fact that it is very durable and super reliable.
For its price, it does have really cool functions:
- 7.1 surround sound
- 3D audio for great gaming immersion whether it’s adventure, action or horror
- Developers have added exclusive audio modes that you won’t find in any other PS4 headsets; modes that enhance the audio experience of whatever game you’re playing
- Has a detachable 3.5 mm jack audio cable
- Can be used for the PC and mobile too
Honestly, even with all these nice features, it’s not really the best wireless headphones out there in the PlayStation market but it still serves as a very functional and sturdy headset.
But what this does have, compared to other wireless headsets for the PS4, is that it updates along with the firmware and will always be viable. That is why this part of our top PS4 accessories.
4. PowerA DualShock 4 Charging Station— The best storage for your controllers that also charges them at the same time
Occasionally, we happen to forget where we placed the controller. Or worse, the controller dies abruptly while playing something hard like Dark Souls or Bloodborne and then the screen screams out YOU DIED. Bummer, right?
But what if we told you, you can now have a very safe spot for your controllers. That’s right, Sony has an official dock for the DualShock 4.
- Not only does it provide storage but it also charges the controller simultaneously.
- It is powered by an AC adapter
- By the next time you have to eat dinner first and then go back to gaming, you don’t have to worry about the battery life of your controller next time.
Not to mention it is also very cheap despite looking very elegant just like the console. It’s really an essential PS4 accessory that is highly recommended for all PlayStation gamers.
We have to admit, we love the Razer Raiju. In our previous article about the best PS4 controllers, we gave the Raiju the spotlight for its functionality and customization.
This controller is like the Big Boss of the PS4 controller market due to its wonderful features. Here’s what we said in the previous article:
- it looks like a modded PS4 on the outside but has the feel of an Xbox One controller on the inside.
- It honestly looks like a hybrid of both, creating what could be the perfect PS4 controller.
- Not to mention the latency is very low due to its advanced wired connection; response time is just 0.5 seconds.
- Very ergonomic
- The overall shape of the controller, the distance between the face buttons, smooth d-pads, bouncy touchpad, and four additional mappable buttons for both shoulder buttons and its base.
- These additional buttons are what pro players love the most as they don’t have to move their fingers around too much, resulting in quicker responses in-game. It’s especially great for shooter and racing multiplayer games.
- The trigger and shoulder buttons are made from aircraft-grade aluminum, making them both lightweight and extremely responsive. They’re even adjustable too, making this controller tailored personally to the player.
- There’s also an additional control panel at the front for quick access to profiles and volume settings for chat and in-game.
- The analog sticks are a pair to behold as these are supported by top-of-the-line high-carbon steel, allowing for some of the smoothest and most responsive thumbsticks we’ve ever experienced on any controller.
Whether you are an aspiring pro gamer who is looking to dominate the PlayStation platform or just a chill casual player who wants more enjoyment and some added twists to gaming sessions, then look no further than the Razer Raiju.
Logitech has always maintained a good reputation for creating wonderful and durable gaming accessories and it comes to show with their latest gaming steering wheel for the PS4.
Behold the G29—a bold successor to the already awesome G27.
If you want the most immersive racing experience whether you’re playing a driving simulator like Gran Turismo or Project Cars or maybe something more arcadey and fast-paced like Dirt or Need For Speed, then the G29 is all you need.
What’s not to love about it?
- Excellent force feedback
- A realistic pedal board
- Wheel rotates to 900 degrees
- Cool LED status display
- Wonderful leather finish on the steering wheel
- Comfortable face button layout
- Worth every penny for driving enthusiasts
The only flaw here is that the stick shift is not included unlike its previous model, the G27. It may not be a big deal for Grand Prix gamers but a bummer for street race players.
Overall, it is a worthy contender and simply a must-have for racing game enthusiasts.
Playing competitive fighting games with a standard DualShock 4 controller nowadays honestly puts the gamer in a disadvantage in titles like Street Fighter V, Tekken 7, Mortal Kombat X or The King of Fighters XIV.
In the modern gaming world where esports dominates the gaming scene and fighting games adapting to the competitive world, gamers seek out the best way to virtually beat up their opponents: using an arcade fight stick.
After all, it is the type of controller layout that laid the foundation of the known beat-em-up games that we know today.
The PS4 has a huge array of great and memorable fighting games and what better way to experience all that than with HORI’s very own Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai.
HORI has always brought out the coolest arcade-style controllers for the PlayStation ever since and they still never fail to impress.
The newest Real Arcade Pro in the series is undoubtedly the best one in their series yet.
Just look at the features:
- 8-way directional stick that isn’t clunky
- 9-button layout where each button is placed to each other just right
- Blends very well with any fighting game mechanic such as the 6-button mapping of Street Fighter or the 4-button mapping of Tekken
- It comes with 4 various colors: white, black, red, blue, all of which look appealing
- Satisfying feeling when the button clicks
- Much more affordable versus other competing brands that offer the same functions for a higher price
HORI also updates with the PS4 firmware to ensure that the arcade fight stick will always be compatible with the console.
Don’t settle for anything less than the HORI arcade fight stick.
Don’t you just hate it when you have to uninstall your favorite games just to add in new ones because your storage device is low all the time? Well, it’s a good thing there is a plug-and-play solution for that.
Behold, Seagate’s incredible 4TB external hard drive.
This particular Seagate hard drive was made exclusively for the PS4.
The 4TB external hard drive is definitely the best storage device for PS players who purchase their games digitally rather than the physical copies.
The external hard drive functionality was established in 2017 by popular demand because of how whopping the amount of data is needed to download the games.
- It can definitely withhold up to 100 games
- High-speed USB 3.0 for a very responsive gaming experience
- Very fast response time just as you plug it in
- Definitely very handy for players who don’t find the internal hard drive enough to store all of their favorite games
Just be very careful with it. It is known to be extremely fragile and prone to malfunctions if it is not handled well.
If you really need that extra storage, this external hard drive is your answer.
So that concludes our PS4 accessories list.
Remember, each of these will depend upon your necessity.
- Want to experience VR Gaming? The PSVR is your perfect choice. Just don’t forget to buy a PS Camera and PS Move for the best VR gaming.
- Need to go along with the PSVR, want to play Just Dance or want to have the most reliable camera for live streaming PS4 games? The PS Camera is your ticket.
- Do you desire a good wireless headset that delivers wonderful surround sound? Look no more than the PlayStation Platinum Wireless Headset.
- Sick and tired of having to find the USB wire for your controller when it suddenly dies down during a game? Or maybe you just need a stationary place for your controller while it charges at the same time? The PowerA DualShock 4 Charging Station is the best solution.
- Looking to be the next esports player with the most reliable controller or just want more apparatus for your hardcore gaming? The Razer Raiju is your answer.
- Are you a die-hard racing game fan? The Logitech G29 is the most immersive steering wheel you’ll ever have for the PS4.
- Want to dominate fighting game tournaments or just want to get the upper hand to defeat the final stage boss? The HORI Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai will help you become the next champion.
- Want to download more games but you can’t store all of them because of the insufficient internal hard drive? Then the Seagate 4TB External Hard Drive will make sure to expand your gaming library without having to uninstall some of your games.
With all of these picks, it is certain that you will make the most out of the PlayStation 4 than it already is.