So while I’ve long since moved this and all my other sites away from GoDaddy’s hosting services for various reasons, I still use their webmail service for all my sites. While I haven’t had an excellent experience with their website hosting across various levels, the webmail service was not only economical compared to alternatives, it just worked. That is until one day all of a sudden, it didn’t. Actually, that’s not completely accurate, it didn’t stop working in reality because all my mail was still coming to the web interface, but for some reason none of those messages were actually making their way to my phone.
I did what anyone does nowadays, I googled “godaddy webmail not receiving iphone” and there were tons of results. I went to GoDaddy’s sites and did all the troubleshooting instructions. I even called GoDaddy support and spent nearly 30 minutes on the phone with them to no avail. I turned my phone on and off. I deleted the email account and added it back. Nothing worked. I was getting frustrated since it had worked perfectly for over a year and then one day it just stopped working. While I use the web interface quite a bit for managing my email, I would say that I do the majority of my initial triage on my iPhone,without that capability I would quickly become overwhelmed. I’m sure a lot of you are the same way so while some people can’t understand why this is a big deal, there is probably a large set of folks who do. So if you’ve Googled everywhere and tried everything and none of it has worked then you might have the problem I had. At the very least this gives you one more thing to try before you consider a full restore on your iPhone which still might not work.
So for ZoKnowsGaming mail, I have GoDaddy’s unlimited email for my team, I figured that it was just the simplest method and the cost were more than reasonable to alternatives. In fact, of the gazillion services that GoDaddy offers, Webmail is one of the few that I would actually recommend. But anyway, you are here for a fix. So as an IT guy I always try to look for things that look like they could present issues, I looked at all the consoles and something stood out to me. When I scrolled down my iPhone screen inside of the ZoKnowsGaming mailbox, it actually shows how many messages you have you in your mailbox and next to that it should unread messages. When I looked at my webmail on the computer, the unread numbers matched meaning that my phone was actually properly communicating with the mailbox. What didn’t match though was the amount of messages in my mailbox, my phone said 25,004, my webmail said a number a little larger than that. So I know a lot of you are like how in the world does he have 25,000 email in his mailbox, simple, I get a lot of automated press releases. As far as I can tell this may have been a perfect storm, I get a lot of email and I have unlimited storage meaning I never actually delete most things.
So in my IT job, I’ve seen a lot of cases about undocumented bugs where a services fails when you attempt to query more than X number of items. At that point I thought, what if that’s happening here, what if the query from my phone is basically failing because it’s hitting some kind of query limit due to the number of items in my mailbox. I went to the web interface for my mail, sorted for a company that I know sends me a lot of messages and started doing mass deletions of old email, some from as far back as 2010. I must have deleted nearly 2000 emails over the course of a few minutes. I then grab my phone to see if I can now force update my mailbox too see if I could now get the mail to come down to my phone. When I picked up my phone and looked at the screen, it had already pulled down my latest messages from GoDaddy and has been working fine ever since. I’m not sure if there is a bug/limitation on the iPhone (using iPhone 4S with iOS 6) or on GoDaddy’s side but I can say that this absolutely worked for me when nothing else did and I wanted to share it so that someone else didn’t have to go through the frustration. So there you have it folks, DELETE SOME EMAIL. If you are over that 25,000 limit like I was, try to get to around 23,000 and see if your mail doesn’t all of sudden start working again, it did for me. Give it a shoot, I mean you have nothing to lose.
Alright folks that’s all I got, hopefully it helps somebody else get back to business. If it does, please hit up the comments and let us know if it worked for you.