Only 20 Percent Of Players Will Complete Hitman: Absolution Says Dev, Say It Ain’t So

Share And Comment

We play games for the experience, the thrill of the ride so to speak, most of the satisfaction we get from a game is completing it fully and if that’s not enough, we crank up the difficulty and start again. According to Hitman: Absolution Director, Tore Blystad, this isn’t the case anymore, with him saying, “only 20 percent of the players will see the last level of the game. It’s horrible to know. It makes the people working on it really sad.” Leaving the other 80% either gearing up for the online features or just not interested in what’s on offer.

hitman-absolution

Why you no complete me?

Blystad made the comments while talking to Official PlayStation Magazine recently, with the aforementioned statement being raised while discussing the use of metrics to record player behavior and how today’s games are centered on multiple playthroughs. Blystad told OPM, “We are using metrics a lot more now than we did, for good and for bad. The general player will probably never even finish the game, which is very sad. Or they might only play through it once, but the game is built for the people who want to go back through every single level and get all the stuff out of it. It’s built to last, rather than be a one-off experience.”

Hoping to combat the problem for Hitman: Absolution, IO Interactive considered pushing interesting content to an earlier point in the story, so gamers who usually jump off before completion might stay around to enjoy the ride, but Blystad said that Hitman: Absolution’s story structure would make it extremely difficult. “I think in some of the earlier Hitman games that might have been the case – that some levels were moved earlier, because they were more catchy or interesting,” he said. “For us it hasn’t really been that easy, because the story is really tying all the levels together, so they’re still coming in the same order, more or less, that they were designed.”

I have to agree with the Hitman Dev, I consider myself a veteran gamer and was always disheartened by some developers and publishers using the multiplayer aspect of a game as the main selling point. Single Player content is the core of gaming, it always has been and to me anyway, always will be. Let’s hope Hitman: Absolution will restore some faith in single player campaigns and get that completion rate back into the fifties again! Do you complete your games usually? Let us know in the comment section below.

Share And Comment
James McDonald
When not fighting crime, I dabble in the art of online journalism. Alright, maybe it's not as exciting as headbutting everyday felons like a modern Bruce Wayne, but I need something that doesn't involve bludgeoning something. Get my kicks playing on a fat 80gb PS3, really need an upgrade......and a shave.
James McDonald
James McDonald

Latest posts by James McDonald (see all)