Sprint’s Nexus S 4G Officially Receives The Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Update, OTA Update Rolling Out
For every Nexus S 4G owner who waited tirelessly for the official Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update, get ready – an over-the-air update is headed your way. That’s right, Sprint has officially announced and confirmed that the Ice Cream Sandwich update is here for your device. The software update will be version IMM76D, and should hit all devices over the coming days/weeks.
According to Sprint’s forum post, the update will bring several enhancements/fixes. Check them out below:
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system upgrade
- Customizable favorites tray visible on all 5 home screens just above the hard keys
- Contacts application replaced with People application that provides improved integration with Gmail, Email, Google+ and other apps
- Multitasking for easier access to switch between recently used applications by tapping/holding Home key
- Create folders on the home screen by dragging and dropping one app onto another to create a folder
- New lock screen actions allows access to the camera and to pull down notifications without unlocking device
- Left to right swipe to dismiss individual notifications, close apps from recent apps list, and close browser tabs
- Data usage controls for monitoring and managing network data usage
- Camera enhancements include capturing panoramic photos, continuous focus, zero shutter lag exposure stabilized image zoom and decreased shot-to-shot speed
- Android Beam allows two NRC-enabled devices to exchange apps, contacts, music, videos, and more
For those wanting to get the complete install instructions, check out the link below. While most people will wait to get the OTA message and update, some will likely want to check for the update manually. The instructions for that are as follows: 1) Go to the Home screen, 2) Tap Menu > Settings > About phone > System Updates, 3) Tap Update Firmware or Update Android, 4) Your phone will automatically download and install updates that have been pushed to it. If no updates are available, Your system is currently up to date will display, 5) Tap Next to return to the Home screen. Whenever you get the update, be sure to come back and let us know how much you love it.