Sony has today begun its conversion of the servers for the MMO newcomer DC Universe Online into four MegaServers which Sony is saying will greatly expand the number of players that are available to play with. The game’s new servers are now arranged in Phases, which are a combination of all of the shared world areas of the game: Metropolis, Gotham, Police Stations and Night Clubs, the Hall of Doom, and the JLA Watchtower.
Players can look forward to the following with the new MegaServers:
- Larger populations
- Access to a much larger pool of people to join in Alerts, Duos, Raids and Legends PvP
- It will be much easier to play with friends who were previously on other servers
- You’ll be able to switch between PvP and PvE style play by using the phase shifters in the Hall of Doom and JLA Watchtower
- A larger number of items in the Broker
- Your character name may have been changed as a result of other players having the same name
“We have implemented the fairest system possible to determine which players would be able to retain their name without change,” Sony said. “Those players whose names have been changed will be sent an in-game email which includes a free Name Change token and instructions as to how to change your name if you do not wish to keep the name assigned to you by the system”.
When a region and platform are converted to the new MegaServer configuration, Sony expects the game to be unavailable for play for around 10-14 hours.