Starbucks has announced the availability of the Starbucks for Android app providing more consumers access to the fastest way to pay and other features to manage their Starbucks Card on-the-go. In addition, the company announced that Safeway, Inc., one of the nation’s largest supermarket chains, plans to rollout mobile payment in July at nearly 1,000 Starbucks in Safeway supermarkets across the United States. Starbucks for Android is available through Android Market for Android phones running 2.1 or above and follows the successful rollout of Starbucks Card Mobile Apps on other platforms.
That was all fine and good but another part of the press release caught our attention:
“The expansion of our mobile payment footprint has been driven by customer interest and input. With the addition of Starbucks for Android to the Starbucks app line-up, a Starbucks mobile payment app may now be used on approximately 90 percent of smartphones currently in use,” said Adam Brotman, vice president, general manager, Digital Ventures at Starbucks Coffee Company.
Did Starbucks just say that one of their mobile payment apps are on 9 out of 10 smartphones currently in use? I know a lot of people drink Starbucks, but I think that 90% is wishful thinking. No biggie but we had to point that one out.
Starbucks for Android Features:
- Pay with your phone: Enjoy the fastest, more convenient way to pay at nearly 6,800 company-operated stores as well as more than 1,000 Target stores and coming this summer to nearly 1,000 Starbucks locations in Safeway stores. Just download the app, enter your Starbucks Card number, scan and go.
- Manage your card account: Access your Starbucks Card balance directly from your phone.
- Reload your card balance: Use your smartphone to reload your Starbucks Card using any major credit card.
- Check your My Starbucks Rewards status: Find out how close you are to earning your next free drink.
- Find nearby Starbucks stores: Save time by finding a Starbucks store near you.