Sony Corporation and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) have just announced that they will begin a phased restoration of PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services in Japan and Asian countries and regions including Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Thailand on May 28. A new identity protection program will also be offered in conjunction with the phased restoration for PlayStation Network and Qriocity customers in Japan. PSN has been restored for a few weeks almost every other place in the world but Japan refused to allow Sony to bring PSN back online there until they were convinced that the new security measures were solid.
The first phase of restored services for Japan and Asian countries and regions will include:
- Sign-in for PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, including the resetting of passwords
- Restoration of online game-play across PS3 and PSP
- ‘Friends’ category on PS3, including Friends List, Chat Functionality, Trophy Comparison, etc
- PlayStation Home
- Access to other network features on services such as torne*
(Customers will not be able to download movies rented through PlayStation Network video download service because movies have expired as a result of PlayStation Network service being turned off since April 21 (JST).)
* torne is a service available only in Japan.