This is obviously another move by a publisher to discourage people from buying games used , which every publisher and developer hates. So to try to discourage you from buying SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs used, Zipper has revealed a special bonus that all you folks that buy the game new vice used. They call it “SOCOM Pro”, when you buy a new copy of SOCOM 4 there will be a code on the back of the instruction manual that you can use on the PlayStation Network to unlock SOCOM Pro. I understand this one a business level but I don’t know why Sony would want to risk alienating players like this by doing something that could reduce their overall enjoyment of the game and ultimately hurt its reception. I played the beta and I don’t think that is something they can afford to do.
Once you activate the code, SOCOM Pro is enabled and starting from launch day you will get exclusive access to all “Pro” Custom Game queues. These game ques are ranked and they will also be updated regularly over the entire lifespan of SOCOM 4.The first set of “Pro” Custom Game types will be the same rule sets that were available during SOCOM 4 beta. If you didn’t make it into the beta, let’s recap those right quick.
- Community Day Classic – Suggested by members of Zipper Community Day 2011, CDC offers a medley of different maps that support 8-vs-8 “Classic” variations on Suppression, Uplink, Last Defense and Bomb Squad with faster movement and no ranged explosives of any kind
- Last Defense Run ‘n Gun – Our incredibly fast-paced deviation from our Last Defense gametype that includes speedier player movement, reduced weapon damage, and limitations to sub-machine guns and shotguns only
- SCRUM – A Suppression mod that offers a “Classic” rules-inspired list of features that includes no respawn, no Sniper Rifles, no Concussion, Poison Gas, or Frag Grenades, higher damage and faster character movement
- Sniper Alley – Another 8-vs-8 variation on “Classic” Suppression that boasts higher damage values and weapon restrictions that allow players access to only Smoke and Poison Gas Grenades, Shotguns, and of course, Sniper Rifles
- Another sweet incentive for SOCOM Pro players is an exclusive pair of weapons that fans have been clamoring for: The M-16 (for Spec-Ops) and the AK-47 (for the Insurgents) assault rifles! Expect to see those within the first 30 days of SOCOM 4’s release.
According to Zipper these perks are just the beginning and they have plenty more planned for SOCOM Pro down the road including access to exclusive multiplayer maps, various co-op additions, dedicated leaderboards, and lots more. For those of you that buy the game used all is not lossed, you can be pro too. To gain access to SOCOM Pro you just need to purchase it from the PlayStation Store for a one-time fee of $14.99 (US) starting April 26, so those that buy it new get a one week headstart. So I ask you this, does SOCOM Pro make you any more likely to buy the game new?