The foundation of L.A. Noire is a brand new technology called MotionScan that enables them to capture and scan every nuance of a real actor’s facial performances and put them right into the game itself. It provides a level of realism, detail, performance and emotion never seen before in a videogame, and brings them to life in a totally new way. This goes beyond the limited grid of data points delivered by traditional motion capture – these are the actual performances themselves, scanned and placed onto their digital characters. This marriage of gameplay and technology allows players for the first time ever to truly feel like a detective, reading the emotional behavior of every character. So as you can see MotionScan lends itself perfectly to this type of game: one that focuses on characters and performances where everyone has something to hide.
Quick Facts About MotionScan
- MotionScan is a new performance capture technology and an alternative to traditional motion capture
- MotionScan utilizes 32 high-definition cameras that completely surround the actor and capture the performance in 3D at 30 frames-per-second
- MotionScan is a technology provided by Depth Analysis, a sister company to Team Bondi and part of a special partnership with Rockstar Games
- Every character in L.A. Noire uses MotionScan technology and over 400 actors were filmed making the game
- L.A. Noire will be the first video game ever to utilize MotionScan technology
I always love a good ole who dun it and L.A. Noire is shaping up to be a hell of a good one, now all we have to do is see if it can live up to the hype.