The latest update for the PS3 is alive and kicking and just in time since PSN will be down for maintenance for most of the day. We hope you grabbed all those awesome demos last night when they went up or else you will have to wait till Wednesday to get them. So anyway the biggest feature that will come out of this update is 3D Blu-Ray support for 3D movie playback.
Additional new features in the 3.50 update include:
- Improved Facebook Integration:
- Developers will be able to create PS3 games that have more interaction with Facebook. Once compatible PS3 titles are available, PS3 users can choose to access public information on Facebook – including user name, profile, uploaded photos and friends list – to enhance their gameplay experience.
- You can now use the PlayStation Move controller to browse the web
- Capability to report those people who send you spam through your ‘friends’ list
- Users can send claim reports directly from the XMB for any inappropriate messages they receive from other PlayStation Network users. This feature is accessible from the option menu of the messages list in the FRIENDS category.
- Notification screen that tells you if your game is compatible with your 3DTV
- More clearly stated explanations of some of the most common PS3 errors.
- This one is an important one, who hasn’t gotten the DLNA error or the DNS one, at least now you should have a better idea of what the problem is and how to fix it.
- PlayStation Plus users get a brand new look to their section of the PlayStation Store
- Qriocity icon will appear on the music section of the PS Store, but won’t be available (EU only) (They continue to toy with us over on this side of the pond)
For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 system, please visit http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Features/SystemUpdate.