New details for upcoming sci-fi shooter Vanquish from developers PlatinumGames have been revealed at E3. The game is directed by Shinji Makima, creator of the Resident Evil series, and is announced to be a shooter of epic proportions with a fast, fluid and frenetic combat system, and an engaging and immersive storyline. The game is set to be released in October 2010.
The story takes place on a vast space station in a near future world where nation’s war over the planet’s remaining energy resources. Players take the role of Sam Gideon, a government agent kitted out with a futuristic battle suit. A versatile fighter with a huge arsenal of weaponry at his disposal, Sam also has an array of martial arts skills that he can use to take down his robot enemies.
- Fast, Fluid & Frenetic Combat – Gaming at it’s most explosive and exciting as you storm into battle.
- A Game Character Like No Other – Donning a futuristic battle suit of destructive firepower and with superhuman speed and agility, Sam is the ultimate weapon.
- War In Space – Fight your way through the enormous, open environments of the space station, the most advanced and futuristic city in the skies.
- Taking The Genre To A New Level – By adding unique offensive and defensive moves, and kinetic melee combat.
- Replayability – The game will rate players of a variation of statistics, rewarding quick reflexes and strategic thinking, ensuring players will want to play again and again.
From what I’ve seen of Vanquish so far I’m not too optimistic it will provide the gaming experience it claims to. So far it looks just like any other garden-variety sci-fi shooter with nothing unique to separate it from the rest. All there is to go on is the hope that Shinji Makima can pull something special out of the bag. For now though I see little of interest on offer, but you never know.