Electronic Arts and Dr Pepper have launched an innovative brand marketing program delivering custom built interactive entertainment to Dr Pepper fans. Beginning this week, consumers who buy 20-ounce bottles of Dr Pepper can also download new, exclusive content in EA games like virtual clothes for their Sims or body parts for their Spore™ creatures. Gaming fans will receive access to these exclusive add-ons for select EA titles throughout 2010 with codes* found on more than 500 million Dr Pepper bottles and fountain cups.
EA looks to be pressing hard to expand their brands this year through several innovative partnerships, some I think may work out better than others but none the less they are making this a priority. It would seem that either way EA can’t lose and Dr. Pepper may sell a few more bottles of soda to hardcore EA fans who would want the free content that they couldn’t get any other way. Only time will tell if this was really a smart move.
How it Works:
1. Purchase a participating bottle of Dr Pepper.
2. Find an exclusive redemption code under the bottle cap.
3. Go to: http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/ea to redeem the code and select from a wide range of game enhancements for Battlefield Heroes™, Battlefield: Bad Company™ 2, Mass Effect™ 2, Spore™ and The Sims™ 3 and others to be announced throughout the year.
Game enhancements for The Sims 3, for example, feature theme-based bundles including Vintage Vegas, Beach Party, Celebrity and Football. Consumers will be able to download exciting new content ranging from a party top or hot boots all the way to a cool Retro car. Fans who have played The Sims over the years will recognize items inspired by previous The Sims games like the Lips Couch or Boomerang Window.
Other examples of exclusive downloadable content include the following:
- In Spore, a dozen Cyborg-themed body parts – such as eyes, heads and arms – can be redeemed and used in the Spore Creature Creator. These parts allow players to mix robot and organic creature body parts to design their own Cyborg creatures. The exclusive Cyborg parts will be usable by all owners of the Spore PC game and anyone who downloads the free Spore Creature Creator Trial Edition from the Spore.com website.
- In Mass Effect 2 (shipping January 26th for the Xbox 360 videogame and entertainment system, PC), a shooter RPG from EA’s award-winning BioWare™ division, there are three unique pieces of armor: two helmets and a visor. The game was recently named by The New York Times as one of 2010’s most anticipated games.
- In Battlefield Heroes, there are four sets of unique character clothing, and consumers get a pair of outfits per download, one for each side.
- In Battlefield: Bad Company 2 four kit upgrades allow you to become a unique Special Activities soldier, with new camouflage and a modified weapon. Kit upgrades also contain new awards and an additional achievement.
In-game items require applicable EA game, applicable game system, Internet connection and EA registration.
More games and enhancements will be announced throughout the year. Full rules and regulations as well as download descriptions and product details can be found at: www.drpepper.com/promotions/ea/rules/.