So I have to admit that I was pretty late to the R&C bandwagon last time around, only picking it up when there was literally nothing else to play and boy was the joke on me. Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction was simply brilliant. I mean when you say what do I want out of a game the last Ratchet and Clank gave you all that and more. It was fun to play, had an intriguing storyline, and was quite simply one of the best and most complete games I have ever played. The sheer size of some of the places that you get to visit, the characters that you meet, and the calling card of the series, the outrageous weapons. I mean until you have had to face a big ferocious looking robot head on and turned him into a penguin, you haven’t really lived. I say all that to say that if you didn’t play the last one you did yourself a big disservice and I suggest you go grab it immediately because don’t be fooled by the funny looking characters on the cover, it’s a gamer’s game. Hopefully, that lead in has gotten you substantially excited about what I am about to tell you about and that’s the sequel Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time.
These are the same people that made Resistance 2, nuff said.
Everyone’s favorite intergalactic duo is back this fall with Ratchet & Clank® Future: A Crack in Time, developed by highly-acclaimed developer Insomniac Games exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. So I feel the need to just stop right here and say that the game is made by Insomniac, sounds familiar doesn’t it because they are the same folks behind the Resistance franchise and we all know how awesome Resistance 1 & 2 were. The latest addition to the best-selling series will at long last answer some of fans’ most-asked questions as it concludes the story arc from Ratchet & Clank® Future: Tools of Destruction and Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty.
Players can control both Ratchet and Clank as they attempt to reunite and save the universe. Each will have new abilities at their disposal such as Ratchet’s Hoverboots, which allow him to travel at high speeds and soar to new heights around the galaxy. With all-new Clank gameplay, players can utilize special time-manipulation abilities in an effort to thwart Dr. Nefarious, one of the franchise’s best-known villains who is attempting to control time itself. So after discovering that Clank’s disappearance was engineered by Dr. Nefarious, Ratchet races to rescue his best friend. Unfortunately, he discovers that Clank’s capture is just the beginning of Nefarious’s latest diabolical plot.
It’s blasting time.
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time puts players into the role of both Ratchet and Clank as they attempt to reunite and save the universe. Along the way, both will finally uncover the hidden truth behind their origins and discover their ultimate destinies. As the duo come closer to reuniting, they’ll have to ask themselves the biggest question of all: Do Ratchet and Clank’s destinies lie with each other? Or is it finally time for the universe’s greatest duo to separate for good?
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time promises to finally bring all our questions to closure. We now know that Ratchet is NOT the only Lombax left as he mets another older Lombax named Asmith and they battle together. Lots of folks have taken this to mean that there is going to be co-op, but as of now there has been no confirmation that the game will include that. Whatever happens in Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time we think it should definitely be on your short list of games to be on the look out for.
• An original new adventure and story that answers many of the fans’ most-asked questions wrapping up the story arc that started in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction and Ratchet & Clank® Future: Quest For Booty.
• Travel freely through non-linear levels with new space gameplay that allows players to engage in space battles, explore the surrounding star system, and discover hidden items and collectibles.
• Taking on the roles of both Ratchet and Clank, players will experience new gameplay with each character.
We told you that Ratchet wasn’t the only Lombax.
• Use Ratchet’s new Hoverboots to travel at high speeds, soar to new heights and jump off ramps to get to distant locations in search of Zoni and other rare collectibles.
• Experience all-new Clank gameplay and special “time” abilities that bring meaning to “past selves.”
• The series’ renowned arsenal gets even larger with new weapons including the Cryo-Bomb Glove, Plasma Striker and Sonic Eruptor, along with classics such as the Negotiator and Buzz Blades.
Great interview with Creative Director Brian Allgeier