It’s ya boy and I am back again to give you my most anticipated PS3 titles of 2008. These are the games that I will definitely be scooping up in 2008 and I think that you should too. These are in no particular order, so just check them out. Disclaimer: I grabbed the descriptions from all over the internet and all the thoughts are expressly my own. Also I added the release dates to just give you a timeframe but more than likely most of these games will be pushed back to later than the dates I have here. Enjoy.
1. Prototype: You are Alex Mercer, the PROTOTYPE: a shapeshifter with amazing powers of combat, destruction, and deception. Consume targets for their form and memories to assume a perfect disguise, or instantly transform your body into an array of deadly biological weapons, cutting your way to the heart of the conspiracy forty years in the making. Stalk the streets of New York City, searching for the life you lead before. Take the form of anyone in your path, using an arsenal of identities to confound. Exploit or annihilate your enemies. Mankind is your mask. Wage a secret war against factions with complex agendas of their own, out to capture or kill you. They are your greatest threat and the key to the secrets of your past. Confront them, find those responsible and make them pay.
My Thoughts: I haven’t been this excited about a game since the original God of War. This is my MOST anticipated game of 2008. The first time I read about this game I was hooked. I mean, to date there has never been another game to my knowledge like this. This is my game of the year if they don’t mess it up like AC, it has to have a great story and it can’t be too short. This game could change games. I just hate that it has been pushed back so far. Of all the games you could buy this year, BUY THIS GAME. I can’t even put into words how excited I am about this one. Gaming may never be the same. Start looking for answers Sept 15, 2008.
2. Grand Theft Auto IV– Ok, so you have seen the trailers. Do you need anymore convincing? You shouldn’t, the guys at Rockstar have done it again. GTA 4, two words… BUY IT!! Release Date: April 1, 2008
3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots– For the new game, series hero Solid Snake moves into a battlefield scenario, which will bring many new challenges in the harshest of infiltration missions. The drama and chaos of the battlefield, as well as questions of who to trust in war, will set the scene for a new era in the Metal Gear Solid series.
My Thoughts: What more do I have to say besides, its MGS fool!! As always the trailers have me about to fall out of my seat and I definitely expect this game to be a Top 3 on the PS3 this year. Get those preorders in really early, I mean really early.
4. Haze– The game is set 25 years into the future and all military operations have been outsourced to private military corporations. You are Jake Carpenter, a newly enlisted soldier in the Mantel army, and with a devastating combination of high-tech vehicles, deadly weaponry, and performance enhancing bio-medical support you look to strike fear in the hearts of terrorists, dictators, and the corporation’s political enemies but as you drop into a war torn country in South America, all is not what it seems…
My Thoughts- Haze was originally supposed to be released in Nov, then Dec, and has now been pushed back to January. There is a lot of speculation about this but I am going with the theory that they pushed it back to make their opening quarter look better, makes sense to me. They expect to sell a lot of copies and I am sure they will. This game looks awesome and is exclusive to PS3. It has been been dubbed PS3’s “Halo-Killer”, those are big shoes to fill but I will have a whole lot of fun finding out, hey maybe I will even see you online. Release Date: Jan 15, 2008
5. Devil May Cry 4– In the game, the player controls Nero, a new character, in addition to an appearance by series lead Dante (whom you will get to play as for much of the second half of the game), fighting demonic enemies in close combat using firearms, swords and a variety of weaponry in a horror setting. Nero’s right arm seems to resemble a demon’s and glows supernaturally, and is the source of his “Devil Bringer” power. He apparently was not born with his arm in this state, and hears voices demanding “more power.” Nero will also apparently have his own “devil trigger” transformation, which consists of a demonic spirit hovering above him. Nero also uses double barreled pistols that fire two bullets at once and are powerful enough to penetrate armor.
My Thoughts– I have always been a DMC fan and it doesn’t look like this title will disappoint. This title will not be a PS3 exclusive as originally stated (will also be released on the 360 and PC), and even though the developers have said that both console versions will play exactly the same I have a feeling the PS3 version will be just a little bit better. Either way I can’t wait to see what they can do with the power of the next-gen consoles and if the trailers are any indication we are in for a treat. Release Date: Feb 5, 2008
6.The Club– Players will fight to survive in a shadowy underground blood-sport controlled by a faceless, obscenely wealthy and influential elite who place their bets on who will survive as the blood-bath ensues before them. Take control of up to eight trained killers motivated by greed, driven by pure insane bloodlust, and determined to earn respect on a global level.
My Thoughts– This game kinda seems like the movie “The Condemned”. You go around killing everyone else in an attempt to be the last one standing. The only twist here is that apparently you want to be in this crazy game. I like the premise; I can’t say that I have ever seen it done before. With lots of weaponry and what could turn out to be a great online mode, this game could be one of the sleepers of the year. Pure unadulterated chaos!! Release Date: Feb 19, 2008
7. Dark Sector – You are Hayden Tenno, an operative sent on a dangerous assassination mission into Lasria – an Eastern European city on the brink of ruin that hides a deadly Cold War secret. Attacked by an unknown enemy, he awakens to find part of his body altered by an infection that has granted him inhuman abilities. Now, Hayden must learn to evolve along with his powers, to survive and to become a hero. A dark, gritty experience packed with fast action, incredible superpowers and an engaging story.
My Thoughts– Dark Sector is shaping up to possibly be one of the biggest surprises of 2008. The graphics and artistry in this game is great. Hayden uses this double bladed thing to do some serious damage, and I mean serious. The graphic violence and gore in this game are definitely over the top. Hmm.. Hope this one doesn’t get banned like Manhunt 2. Oh well guess we will have to wait and see. Release Date: Feb 25, 2008.
8. Army of Two– AOT throws gamers into hot spots ripped from current day headlines where they will utilize unique two-man strategies and tactics while seamlessly transitioning between playing with intelligent Partner AI (PAI) and a live player. When one man is not enough, it will take an army of two to fight through war, political turmoil and a conspiracy so vast it threatens the entire world. AOT delivers intelligent partner AI (PAI) that interacts, adapts, collaborates and learns from their human partner. The PAI will also react and adjust to the gamer’s ability and how they play the game by taking the lead or following, driving strategy or taking orders. It is the dream of the human machine.
My Thoughts– This game is going to kick major butt. Even though Conflict: Denied Ops comes out a month before and is basically built on the same premise I think that AOT will be the better game thus I am waiting until this comes out. If the PAI works the way they say it will, this game could change the face of gaming as we know it. Imagine online team battles when YOU are the team; that would be awesome. Definitely on my buy list. Mar 4, 2008
9. Conflict: Denied Ops– Set in today’s volatile political climate, focusing on two covert field operatives, experts in weapons and military tactics. The game allows players to switch seamlessly, at any point, between these two operatives to lay down covering fire, explore diverging paths through the levels, create distractions and pin the enemy under fire. Making full use of Pivotal’s new Puncture Technology, the game features a highly destructible environment, allowing players to shoot through walls to create sniping holes or blast through walls to take the enemy by surprise.
My Thoughts– There isn’t much info out about this title yet but the premise of switching seamlessly between to characters to complete each mission is interesting, along with the puncture technology which will allow players to either use stealth or brute force to get the drop on their enemies should be interesting. I wrote this review basically to tell you not to buy this one, this game sounds a lot like Army of Two which will be released a month later, I would suggest saving your money until then I definitely will. But if you can wait for Army of Two this may scratch that itch until it arrives. Release Date: Feb 12, 2008
10. Condemned 2: BloodShoot– Players will assume the identity of Ethan Thomas, former Serial Crimes Unit investigator, who has been called back to duty to track down his missing partner. The disturbing events from Ethan’s past have left him a broken man – a desperate burnout drifting aimlessly through society in an inexplicable decline. As Ethan, players will engage in visceral combat using a variety of firearms, blunt instruments and an all-new fighting system complete with defensive and offensive combo chains, as well as grapples and holds. To help track the killer and solve the mysteries behind Condemned 2: Bloodshot, players will crack open an all-new set of high-tech forensic tools. Using wits and brute strength, murders can be solved a number of different ways to keep players guessing throughout each suspenseful investigation.
My Thoughts: This is one of the games that has really peeked my interest. It seems to be CSI meets an insane horror flick. I like that fact that you are kind of the anti-hero and the fact there are multiple ways that a murder can be solved to account for different playing styles. You are basically just a regular guy who just got caught up in some strange stuff, no superpowers, just you, some guns, whatever you can grab in the environment and your wits vs well whatever you encounter. Sounds like a fair fight to me. Release Date: Feb 26, 2008
11. Turning Point: Fall of Liberty– Fall of Liberty changes reality by twisting one historical fact: In 1931, Winston Churchill was hit by a taxi on 5th Avenue in New York and killed. In reality, he survived the accident but walked with a cane for the rest of his life. But what might have followed if Winston Churchill had been killed in the accident? Without his voice to lead a country to war, the events of WWII change dramatically; the Normandy invasion never happens and the UK and all of Europe come under Nazi rule by 1945. Building on the successful conquest of Europe, Nazi intelligence develops superior weapons and vehicles so that on December 7, 1951 they are able to launch an all out surprise attack on America – beginning with a mass invasion of New York.
Unprepared, the invasion stuns America and plunges much of the country into fearsome Nazi occupation. In Washington, the Swastika flies from The White House, and in a show of force to end rebellion, a nuclear attack on Manhattan is being planned. The odds are overwhelming, the reality of the situation shocking, but for players, it’s time to join the resistance and fight a guerrilla war in the newly occupied territories.
My Thoughts– At first I was like WWII again, hasn’t this been done enough but as I investigated further I started to feel a little differently about TP. I think the game takes a fresh approach to an old story and may just pull it off. With what I am hearing about the graphics and gameplay it may just be a cult classic. My fellow Americans it seems that the enemy has brought the fight to our soil, now we can’t have that can we? The rebellion begins Feb 26, 2008.
12. Rainbow Six : Vegas 2– Not a lot of info about this one either yet, but if the past is any indication of the future it wont be a bad pickup. Rally up!! Release Date: Mar 11, 2008
13. Tom Clancy’s EndWar– Fight For Your Nation: Pick a side US, Europe, Russia – the fate of the world is in your hands. If you don’t step in to save your homeland, who will?
Command Your Army: Grow your army into the most powerful force on the planet. Your army is completely customizable, and experience breeds strength – your units grow more powerful with every campaign you fight.
Light Up The City of Lights: Tom Clancy’s World War III won’t be won by capturing remote deserts or grasslands but by striking countries in the heart. Paris, Moscow, Washington D.C. will all erupt in flames as you battle your way through the fully destructive playground.
A Whole New Kind of Massive: EndWar will be an online multiplayer experience unlike anything you’ve ever encountered. 16 player matchups? Try hundreds. 30 minute battles? Try persistent matchups lasting for months at a time. This isn’t a skirmish, it’s World War III.
Talk Your Way to Victory: Put the controller aside and start shouting commands. EndWar can be played almost entirely via voice command
My Thoughts– Ok, just the name Tom Clancy gets my heart racing. With Endwar Clancy and team are attempting to change the face of console gaming as we know it and if anyone can do it it would be him. EndWar looks like it will be the first true MMO in the history of consoles. With the ability to have hundreds of players actively involved and the majority of the game can be played using voice commands this game may just be the beginning of something huge, remember you heard it here first. The battle begins Apr 1, 2008
14. Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution– Classic, Epic, Gold Standard, all words that come to mind when you hear the word “Civilization”. This is the first time that this title will be brought to a next gen console and well you might want to get that preorder in soon. Release Date: Apr 1, 2008
15. KillZone 2: Throughout the campaign, players will encounter lifelike and adaptable artificial intelligence (A.I.) from enemies as well as fellow soldiers, destructible environments, and stunningly detailed scenery. Additionally, players will be tasked with utilizing a host of new weapons and vehicles in the war to stop the Helghast. Featuring an extensive single-player campaign and thrilling multi-player mode, Killzone 2 delivers a host of new gameplay elements and an intense storyline that will once again drive gamers to join the ranks of the ISA and fight the Helghast…this time on the enemy’s home planet.
My Thoughts: The original KZ was great and on the next gen consoles its going to be serious. The online mode in the last one was vicious so I expect nothing less from this one. Again my only complaint is that there may just be too many FPS out in 2008 to really appreciate them all. Release Date: April 7, 2008
16. WET– Beautiful, graceful, brutal, and deadly.
Rubi is a problem fixer. She fixes problems. She’s good at it. But when she agrees to fix a wealthy man’s problem by finding and bringing back his wayward son, she thinks it’s all going to be cut and dry. She thought wrong. The job wasn’t so simple. And the man who hired her isn’t who he appears to be. Now Rubi’s on the run, needing to find the man who left her for dead, leaving a massive body count in her wake.
Double-crosses. Enemies. Allies. Guns. Swords. Drugs. Old books. In an adventure that spans three continents, two warring factions, and one very pissed off problem fixer, WET will keep the adrenaline pumping from start to finish. Rubi is focused. Rubi is determined. Rubi is a problem fixer. Rubi is WET.
My Thoughts: All I gotta say is watch out Lara Croft, this girl doesn’t play. The mayhem begins Oct 1, 2008.
17. Battlefield: Bad Company– Throw out the rules of engagement, this is all-out war! Built from the ground-up for next-generation consoles using Digital Illusions’ bleeding-edge Frostbite game engine, Battlefield: Bad Company drops gamers behind enemy lines with a squad of renegade soldiers who risk it all on a personal quest for gold and revenge. Featuring a deep, cinematic single-player experience loaded with adventure and dark humor, the game delivers the series’ trademark sandbox gameplay in a universe where nearly everything is destructible.
My Thoughts– The graphics are great, absolutely great and I have to respect the guys for building the game engine from the ground up for the next-gen consoles rather than rehashing old code. The only drawback I see so far in this game is that since it doesn’t have an established title like RBS or COD, it may get lost in the shuffle with apparently so many good FPS’s coming out for the PS3 in 2008. If you can find the time, the game hits stores March 28, 2008.
18. Mercenaries 2: World in Flames– Mercenaries 2: World in Flames is an explosive open-world action game set in a massive, highly reactive, war-torn world. A power-hungry tyrant messes with Venezuela’s oil supply, sparking an invasion that turns the country into a warzone. Mercenaries 2 features the latest and most dangerous in civilian and military tech, everything from shiny new sports cars, to the future-tech satellite-guided bunker-busting mini-nuke. Tanks, APCs, boats, luxury automobiles – you name it, you can have it delivered to you in real time. And if you run out of cash you can always ‘acquire’ the gear you need in the field
If you see it, you can buy it, steal it, or blow the living crap out of it. Play your own way, or play with the help of a friend in the new cooperative multiplayer mode.
My Thoughts: The last Mercs was a great and adrenaline filled rush, will this one be as good, probably. This game is great and at times almost comical but that what is great about it. I almost put it on the honorable mention list because of all the other great titles but my memories of the first one were just to fond. Release Date: April 8, 2008
19. FIFA Street 3- Hit the streets with some of the best Pro Players and experience all the style and attitude of street soccer. Decked out in authentic training kits and street wear, every player boasts their own, distinctive style of play with unique abilities to match. Whether you’re after brawn, brains, silky skills or crunching tackles, the perfect street team is out there. Use the simple button configuration and analog stick to seamlessly combine moves – providing you with hundreds of different ways to show off your street skills. Fill up your all-new Game Breaker to power your ultimate abilities and express yourself like never before.
My Thoughts– This could be a nice changeup for sports fans and as soccer is the most popular sport in the world, it should sell a lot of copies.
Ok folks so many great titles, and not enough time to detail them all but here are the rest of my list. Looks like this is going to be a great year for the PS3 so get those pocketbooks ready, its going to be an expensive one this year lol.
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Robert Ludlums: The Bourne Conspiracy
These are the games that could be a surprise hit or they could really suck. But something about them makes them interesting.
History Channel: Battle for the Pacific
Viking: Battle for Asgard
Brothers in Arms: Hell’s Highway
Hellboy: Science of Evil